Home » Posts tagged 'NEET Validity'
Tag Archives: NEET Validity
NEET score validity is an area of doubt amongst medical aspirants in India. The Medical Council of India had made several amendments on the eligibility criteria of NEET exam in the last few years. Hence, the different changes have created a cloud of confusion as it is troublesome to find out which notification is the latest one. As NEET is the gateway to pursuing a career in medicine, it is crucial to know the NEET score validity and the options it provides for making wise choices.
NEET is one of the major examinations for medical aspirants in India. Clearing NEET is a big step that requires a whole lot of preparation and hard work. Thus, being a medical aspirant, you should be aware of NEET score validity and the scopes it offers.
NEET – Eligibility and Qualification
NEET is conducted every year by the National Testing Agency(NTA). There were several discrepancies regarding the number of attempts and age limit concerning the eligibility to appear for the NEET exams.
- As of 2019, there are no limitations for the number of attempts and the upper age limit was decided to be 25 years with a relaxation of 5 years for reserved categories.
- The minimum age to appear for the NEET examination is 17 years.
- Candidates should also have qualified 12th board, with science as the stream, including biology as a subject.
- Students who are appearing for 12th boards (or equivalent) can also apply for NEET (UG) as the registration starts way before 12th board exams.
NEET examination serves the purpose of maintaining uniformity in the quality of students who pursue medical education at different institutions. It is a regulatory measure to make sure that the students in India who pursue a medical degree anywhere meet the minimum qualifications set by the MCI.
This way it assures the quality of the education provided and the efficiency of the future professionals. NEET score is mandatory for seeking admission in Indian as well as abroad medical universities. To qualify for NEET Counselling, a candidate should have-
- Minimum percentile of 50
- With a relaxation of 10% for SC/ST/OBC candidates (40th percentile)
- And a relaxation of 5% for General PWD candidates (45th percentile)
Also Read | Detailed Paper Analysis of NEET (UG)
NEET Score Validity for Studying Medicine Abroad: 3 years
Since students put in a lot of their time and effort, the older NEET score validity of 1 year for admission into different medical institutes was a bit restricting for students. The Medical Council of India (MCI) has made amendments to extend the NEET score validity for admission to medical institutions abroad in March 2019. The decision was a great relief for the medical aspirants who wished to study medicine abroad.
- NEET score validity for medical admission at universities abroad was determined to be up to 3 years by MCI.
- To study MBBS at universities abroad, students may require to fulfil a list of criteria such as TOEFL etc and to produce a lot more supporting documents in comparison to getting admission in medical institutes in India.
- Because of these extra requisites, joining medicine at a foreign university is a lengthy process. It may take roughly 8 to 12 months from the time of announcement of NEET results to complete all procedures and to start the academic session at abroad universities. For example, procuring a passport and visa alone takes more than 2 months.
This constraining characteristic of NEET score validity was big trouble for students who aspire to study abroad because by the time the admission procedures get over the NEET score validity might as well have expired.
Also Read | MBBS Admission Through Management Quota
Since the Medical Council of India has reconsidered the extension of NEET validity and made it more helpful and acceptable, many students can now consider studying medicine abroad with a NEET score. The extension of NEET score validity for admission to abroad medical programmes further helped to ensure that the students who study medicine abroad also meet the standards set by MCI.
This extension of validity of NEET Scores is in action from 2019. Now, students who wish to study medicine abroad also should qualify in the NEET exam, which was not the case before. It has now been made mandatory while appearing for the screening test.
NEET Score Validity for Studying Medicine in India: 1 year
The National Testing Agency (NTA) conducts NEET exams every year and students can join in the medical colleges of their choice soon after their 12th board and NEET exam results are out, depending on the NEET Cut Offs. Since there aren’t any expected delays for admission in Indian medical institutions, the NEET validity for students who want to study MBBS in India is 1 year, which is the year of appearing for the entrance exams. NEET score is necessary for admission to all the medical colleges in India. This now also includes AIIMS and JIPMER, which previously had their own entrance tests.
Scopes of Extended NEET Score Validity
If you aspire to pursue the medical field as your career, qualifying NEET and knowing NEET validity is helpful to find out the opportunities you have in your hands. The time and hard work you put in while appearing for NEET is immense. And that is why you should consider all career options once you have achieved the qualifying percentile.
Since the NEET score validity is 1 year for Indian colleges and 3 years for abroad universities, you still have hope of admission in a foreign university if not top medical colleges in India. As far as you are up for pursuing a medical degree abroad, you can apply to different medical institutes abroad, with your current marks for the next two years. Indian medical institutes can be very competitive, but you might get admission to several top-notch universities abroad, which offer similar or even higher quality of education. Moreover, with financial aids/scholarships, the cost of education is very cheap in foreign universities.
Don’t miss out on opportunities because of a lack of information. If you are appearing for NEET 2020, make sure to consider all the possibilities and thus ensure that the hard work you put into clearing NEET doesn’t go in vain. The extended NEET score Validity also works with the drop year a student might take to improve the NEET score. So, do not waste your time anymore, and start practicing for NEET right now!