The National Testing Agency will be conducting NEET 2020 in May 2020. It has laid down a set of NEET eligibility criteria for candidates who wish to appear for the examination. It is a national level medical entrance examination for aspirants from all over India. NEET 2020 will be conducted on May 3, 2020. Before filling the NEET application form, candidates are advised to carefully check NEET Eligibility Criteria for the year 2020.
NEET 2020 Eligibility Criteria includes age limit, qualifications, category, nationality and other criteria. In order to pursue graduation in the medical field, the basic criteria is to score a minimum 50% in 12th standard board for general category and 45% or 40% for reserved category candidates. After you meet the NEET eligibility criteria, it is necessary to know how to apply for NEET 2020.
NEET 2020 Eligibility Criteria: Overview
|NEET Eligibility Criteria|
|Age limit||Applicants must have completed 17 years of age at the time of admission or before 31st December of the year of admission.|
|Maximum attempt||There is no attempt limit from this year (subject to change)|
|Citizenship||Candidates must be Indian. NRIs, PIOs, OCIs and Foreign National are also eligible to apply.|
|Qualification||Candidates must have passed 12th with Physics, Chemistry, Biology/Biotechnology and English|
|Minimum Marks (in PCB)||General – 50%, PwD – 45%, OBC/SC/ST – 40%|
|Appearing Applicants||Candidates who are appearing in class 12th are also eligible for NEET 2020|
NEET 2020 Eligibility Criteria – Qualifying Examination Codes
|Qualification and Qualifying Examination Codes|
|Code 1||Candidates who are appearing in class 12th in 2020, are eligible for NEET 2020. If the candidate does not pass in 12th or fulfill the minimum eligibility criteria at the first round of counselling, will not be eligible for admission.|
|Code 2||Higher/Senior Secondary Examination or the Indian School Certificate Examination which is equivalent to 10+2 Higher/Senior Secondary Examination after a period of 12 year study, the last 2 year study consists Physics, Chemistry, Biology/Bio-technology and Mathematics or any other elective subject with English. Candidates must have undertaken 2 years for regular and continuous study of Physics, Chemistry, Biology/Biotechnology subjects. Candidates who have completed 10+2 from NIOS or private Institutes are not eligible for NEET 2020.|
|Code 3||Intermediate/Pre-degree Examination in Science of an Indian University/Board or other recognized examining the body with Physics, Chemistry, Biology/Bio-technology and also English as a compulsory subject.|
|Code 4||Pre-professional/Pre-medical Examination with Physics, Chemistry, Biology/Bio-technology & English after passing either the Higher Secondary Examination or Pre-University or an equivalent examination. The Pre-professional/Pre-medical examination shall include practical tests in these subjects and also English as a compulsory subject.|
|Code 5||The first year of the three years’ degree with Physics, Chemistry and Biology/Bio-technology including practical tests with Physics, Chemistry, Biology/ Biotechnology with English.|
|Code 6||B.Sc candidates of an Indian University provided that he/she has passed the exam with not less than two of the subjects Physics, Chemistry, Biology (Botany, Zoology)/Bio-technology and further that he/she has passed the earlier qualifying examination with Physics, Chemistry, Biology and English|
|Code 7||Passed other examination apart from the above, which is equivalent to intermediate science examination of an Indian University/Board with Physics, Chemistry and Biology/Bio-technology. It also includes practical tests. (Foreign Students)|
NEET 2020 Eligibility Criteria – Age Limit
- Applicants must have completed 17 years of age at the time of admission or before 31st December of the year of admission in an institute.
- There is no upper age limit for NEET 2020 as per Supreme Court interim order.
- Admissions to colleges for candidates aged 25 or above shall depend on the final judgement of the Supreme Court.
NEET 2020 Eligibility Criteria – Qualification Criteria
- Qualifying Exam: Applicants must have qualified their higher secondary examination or International board examination which is recognized and equivalent to 10+2 examination.
- Subjects: Applicants must have passed the qualifying examination with the subjects Physics, Chemistry, Biology/Biotechnology and any other elective subjects with English.
- Minimum Marks: Applicants must secure at least 50% marks for general category, 40% marks (SC/ST/OBC), 45% marks for general physically handicap and 40% marks (SC/ST/OBC-PH) as aggregate score in Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics.
- Appearing Applicants: Applicants who are in 12th standard are also eligible to apply but they must possess the passing certificates complying with the percentage criteria in the first round of counselling.
Note: Marks obtained in Mathematics in 12th standard will not be considered for admission to MBBS/BDS courses.
NEET 2020 Eligibility Criteria for 15% All India Quota Seats
MCC conducts the online counselling for NEET. In order to take part in All India Quota Counselling, candidates must apply for the same online. Counselling is done in two rounds.
- Indian Nationals, NRIs, OCI, PIO and Foreign Candidates can take part in 15% AIQ seats.
- Applicants who belong to Jammu & Kashmir and Ladakh are not eligible for 15% All India Quota seats as the state and UT have opted out of AIQ Scheme for admission.
- They can get admission in Private/Deemed Universities or Medical/Dental Colleges. They are also eligible for taking admission in Armed Forces Medical College (AFMC), Pune.
- Andhra Pradesh and Telangana shall be taking part in AIQ Scheme beginning this year.
NEET 2020 Eligibility Criteria for 85% State Quota Seats
85% seats are reserved for State candidates. It is conducted by the state counselling. Candidates must contact the authority to know the respective dates and events. Merit list will be released on the basis of State based Candidates All India rank. The eligibility for the 85% state quota seats are listed below:
- Applicants must have completed 10th and 12th standard from the state
- Applicants must possess a valid state domicile
- Applicants should possess a valid proof of state residency
NEET 2020 Eligibility Criteria for Seats in Participating Bodies
Some other medical colleges like Armed Force Medical College (AFMC) Pune, Banaras Hindu University (BHU) Uttar Pradesh, Jamia Hamdard University, Delhi are also participating in NEET 2020 and also considered NEET 2020 scores while taking the admission.
AFMC requires an additional screening process even after meeting the criteria for admission. You need to apply for the same separately on the official website of AFMC, Pune.
The Overseas Citizen of India may also appear for NEET 2020, subject to the rules of Indian Government. Applicant’s upper and lower age limit shall be considered as per the rules of states/universities/institutions for those who would be seeking admission under the control of affiliated Institutions/Universities/States.