Home » Posts tagged 'NEET Eligibility'
Tag Archives: NEET Eligibility
NEET 2021 score validity is an area of doubt amongst medical aspirants in India. The Medical Council of India had made several amendments on the NEET eligibility criteria in the last few years. Hence, the different changes have created a cloud of confusion as it is troublesome to find out which notification is the latest one. As NEET 2021 exam is the gateway to pursuing a career in medicine, it is crucial to know the NEET 2021 score validity and the options it provides for making wise choices.
NEET is one of the major examinations for medical aspirants in India and clearing it is a big step that requires a whole lot of preparation and hard work. Thus, being a medical aspirant, you should be aware of NEET score validity and the scopes it offers.
NEET Eligibility and Qualification
NEET is conducted every year by the National Testing Agency (NTA). There were several discrepancies regarding the number of attempts and age limit concerning the NEET eligibility criteria. However:
- As of 2019, there are no limitations for the number of attempts and the upper age limit was decided to be 25 years with a relaxation of 5 years for reserved categories.
- The minimum age to appear for the NEET 2021 examination is 17 years.
- Candidates should also have qualified 12th board, with science as the stream, including biology as a subject.
- Students who are appearing for 12th boards (or equivalent) can also apply for NEET UG 2021 exam as the registration starts way before 12th board exams.
NEET examination serves the purpose of maintaining uniformity in the quality of students who pursue medical education at different institutions. It is a regulatory measure to make sure that the students in India who pursue a medical degree anywhere meet the minimum qualifications set by the MCI.
This way it assures the quality of the education provided and the efficiency of the future professionals. NEET 2021 score is mandatory for seeking admission in Indian as well as abroad medical universities. To qualify for NEET 2021 Counselling, a candidate should have:
- Minimum percentile of 50
- With a relaxation of 10% for SC/ST/OBC candidates (40th percentile)
- And a relaxation of 5% for General PWD candidates (45th percentile)
Also Read | Detailed Paper Analysis of NEET UG 2020 Exam
NEET Score Validity for Studying Medicine Abroad: 3 years
Since students put in a lot of their time and effort, the older NEET score validity of 1 year for admission into different medical institutes used to restrict students in some unwanted ways. The Medical Council of India (MCI) has made amendments to extend the NEET score validity for admission to medical institutions abroad in March 2019. The decision was a great relief for the medical aspirants who wished to study medicine abroad.
- NEET score validity for medical admission at universities abroad was determined to be up to 3 years by MCI.
- To study MBBS at universities abroad, students may require to fulfil a list of criteria such as TOEFL etc and to produce a lot more supporting documents in comparison to getting admission in medical institutes in India.
- Because of these extra requisites, joining medicine at a foreign university is a lengthy process. It may take roughly 8 to 12 months from the time of announcement of NEET results to complete all procedures and to start the academic session at abroad universities. For example, procuring a passport and visa alone takes more than 2 months.
This constraining characteristic of NEET score validity was big trouble for students who aspire to study abroad because by the time the admission procedures get over the NEET score validity might as well have expired.
Also Read | MBBS Admission Through Management Quota
Since the Medical Council of India has reconsidered the extension of validity of NEET score in India and made it more helpful and acceptable, many students can now consider studying medicine abroad with a NEET 2021 score.
- The extension of NEET score validity for admission to abroad medical programmes further helped to ensure that the students who study medicine abroad also meet the standards set by MCI.
- This extension of validity of NEET score in India is in action from 2019.
Now, students who wish to study medicine abroad also should qualify in the NEET exam, which was not the case before. It has now been made mandatory while appearing for the screening test.
NEET Score Validity for Studying Medicine in India: 1 year
Every year, students can join in the medical colleges of their choice soon after their 12th board and NEET exam results are out, depending on the NEET Cut Offs. Since there aren’t any expected delays for admission in Indian medical institutions, the NEET validity for students who want to study MBBS in India is 1 year, which is the year of appearing for the entrance exams. NEET score is necessary for admission to all the medical colleges in India. This now also includes AIIMS and JIPMER, which previously had their own entrance tests.
- NEET Counselling 2020: Round 1 Result For MBBS, BDS Out; Download Seat Allotment Letter
- NTA Announces NEET 2020 Results and Final Answer Keys For All Sets
- NTA Releases NEET 2020 Question Paper PDFs On The Official Website
- NEET 2020 Answer Key: Challenge window is open till 29 September
- Want to Start Preparation for NEET 2021? Check Plan Here
- Time Table for NEET 2021 Preparation
Scopes of Extended NEET Score Validity
If you aspire to pursue the medical field as your career, qualifying NEET and knowing NEET score validity is helpful to find out the opportunities you have in your hands. The time and hard work you put in while appearing for NEET 2021 exam is immense. And that is why you should consider all career options once you have achieved the qualifying percentile.
- Since the NEET score validity is 1 year for Indian colleges and 3 years for abroad universities, you still have hope of admission in a foreign university if not top medical colleges in India.
- As far as you are up for pursuing a medical degree abroad, you can apply to different medical institutes abroad, with your current marks for the next two years.
- Top medical colleges in India can be very competitive, but you might get admission to several top-notch universities abroad, which offer similar or even higher quality of education. Moreover, with financial aids/scholarships, the cost of education is very cheap in foreign universities.
Don’t miss out on opportunities because of a lack of information. If you are appearing for NEET 2021 exam, make sure to consider all the possibilities and thus ensure that the hard work you put into clearing NEET UG 2021 exam doesn’t go in vain. The extended NEET score validity also works with the drop year a student might take to improve the NEET 2021 score. So, do not waste your time anymore, and start practicing for NEET 2021 exam right now!
NEET 2020, the national-level entrance exam for admission to MBBS and BDS courses in India, has been a constant cause of confusion for candidates with disabilities (PwD) from the beginning. The application process for NEET 2020 started on December 2, 2019 when many candidates with Disabilities filled the form according to the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016.
As the brochure released for the exam in 2020 stated that the candidates with disabilities will be eligible to apply for NEET 2020 as per the guidelines under the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016 which allows 21 disabilities to be included.
But on November 16, Medical Council of India (MCI) released a draft guideline which excluded many disabilities to be eligible for NEET 2020. MCI further invited objections to be submitted till January 6, 2020 (extended date), which was the last date for applying for NEET 2020.
The entire scenario has created a lot of confusion and distress for all such candidates with disabilities as they are left in a state of limbo. The MCI and Government of India has failed to step in and provide a meaningful resolution to this confusion state of confusion which can affect the future of thousands of medical aspirants in the country.