NEET has its own reservation criteria for different categories. MCC will conduct online counselling for 15% All India Quota seats for MBBS/BDS courses on the basis of NEET 2020 score. Rest 85% of the seats for MBBS/BDS courses will be filled by State counselling which is conducted by the respective NEET Counselling bodies of the state government. In this article, you will get complete information about NEET Reservation criteria for All India Quota, State Quota and other quotas.
In 15% All India Quota seats, reservation for counselling of students will be based on Statutory Regulation of MCI/NMC/DCI, judgements of the Hon’ble Supreme Court of India and procedure prescribed by the MCC under the DGHS. In the same way, reservation for counselling in 85% State Quota seats will be based on Statutory Regulation of MCI/NMC/DCI, judgements of the Hon’ble Supreme Court of India and State Legislation rules and regulations.
NEET 2020 Reservation Criteria
To begin in a layman manner, the reservation criteria of NEET 2020 is mainly offered in 3 kinds-
- 15% All India Quota seats
- 85% State Quota seats
- Seats in AIIMS/JIPMER/Deemed Universities/Central Universities/Seats of ESIC and AFMC including BHU/AMU
Reservation under 15% All India Quota Seats
All India Quota accounts for 15% of the total seats available at All India level. Government, private, central colleges/universities are also considered under this All India Quota account. Students can take admission under 15% AIQ seats in any medical college from any state of this country. MCC allocates the seats based on All India Merit list.
Seat Reservation in All India Quota is as follows:
|Category||Reservation of Seats|
|General – EWS||10%|
Remember that the seats above are only 15% of what the whole country has to offer. The total number of seats in All India Quota is more than 60,000 and you can get admission in best colleges of the country with your scores. To take part in All India Counselling, you must remember to submit your self-declaration and other documents as required for the process of NEET counselling.
Some important changes–
- States of Andhra Pradesh and Telangana are now eligible for 15% All India Quota Seats. These states previously were opted out of NEET All India scheme since inception. If any candidate from these states wants to claim eligibility for 15% All India Quota Seats, then he/she must submit online Self-Declaration.
- State of Jammu and Kashmir and UT Ladakh are not participating under AIQ as they have opted out of the same since inception. This might change as due to J&K Reorganization Act, 2019, they have been reconsidered for participation. Although, in UT of Ladakh, there is no medical college, so, the decision might soon come into effect.
Reservation for General – Economically Weaker Sections
With Lok Sabha passing a bill for reservations under the income category, educational institutions have reserved 10% seats under Gen-EWS category. To be eligible under EWS, the criteria is as follows-
- Gross Annual Income of family < INR 8 lakh
- Family ownership of Agricultural Land < 5 acres
- Ownership of residential flat < 1000 sq ft
- Ownership of residential plot < 100 sq yards (notified municipalities)
- Ownership of residential plot < 200 sq yards (unnotified municipalities)
Reservation for Person with Disability under AIQ
- 5% seats of All-India Quota seats are reserved for Physically Handicapped Candidates.
- Candidates who have any kind of locomotor disability and their percentage disability falls 40% or above can get a seat allotted under this scheme.
- PwD candidates should have their Certificate of Disability issued while applying for this quota.
Reservation under State Quota Seats
The remaining 85% seats of all the private and government medical colleges come under State Quota, for which separate counselling is conducted by state/union territories by their respective authority. A merit list is released by the state authority. The seats in state level quota are filled through state level counselling and merit list.
State quota seats rules are governed by the state legislation authorities and can be checked online on official state counselling websites.
Reservation under state quota varies from state-to-state due to the varying factors such as vernacular languages, population distribution, male to female ratio and others.
Applicants are advised to fill details of the state code in the Application form so he/she is eligible for home state quota. State domicile copy needs to be uploaded while filling the Application form 2020.
Reservation in AIIMS/JIPMER/Deemed Universities/Central Universities/Seats of ESIC and AFMC including BHU/AMU
Previously, many colleges/universities had their examination for admissions. But from 2019, all of medical institutions in India come under NEET. Although, the admission/reservation policy is still not governed as per the norms set under AIQ or non-AIQ seats.
- Conducting Authority – DGHS/MoA/AACCC
- Reservation policy – as decided by concerned institution/university
- Register at – MCC website – for MBBS/BDS courses
- Register at – AACCC website – for undergraduate medical courses.
AFMC, Pune is subject to norms prescribed by Directorate General of Armed Forces Medical Services, Ministry of Defence, Government of India. You must apply on official website of AFMC – afmc.nic.in – to take part in their admissions process using NEET 2020 scores. Furthermore, the screening process of AFMC decides your final admission.