All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi conducts an admission entrance exam at the national level every year to select students for enrollment in its prestigious MBBS program offered at the 7 AIIMS in India. This entrance exam is popularly known as AIIMS MBBS and it is scheduled for May 26 and 27. Registrations for the exam is currently open until March 5, 2018. In this article, we elaborate on the AIIMS exam pattern and syllabus for the convenience of candidates registering to appear for the current year’s entrance.
Last date to apply for AIIMS 2018 is 5th March 2018. Check here details required for AIIMS Application Form.
- The exam is held in online mode only.
- The exam is consulted in two shifts – morning and evening; the current years’ exam being scheduled in dual shifts over two days.
- Maximum time allowed for the exam is 210 minutes or 3 hours and 30 minutes.
- The Question paper will consist of total 200 objective questions, in multiple choice and re-assertion types.
- Topics covered will be from 10+2 level Physics, Chemistry, and Biology as well as General Knowledge.
- Examinees can attempt the paper in either Hindi or English, based on their choice mentioned during Registration.
- Each incorrect answer will attract a penalty of -1/3 mark while each correct answer will be scored +1 mark.
Latest Application Form Available 2018
- Apply for top International Institutions. Click Here
AIIMS Exam Pattern 2018: Highlights
|Scheduled Exam Date||May 26 and 27, 2018|
|Time of Exam||Two shifts:
Morning – 9:00 am to 12:30 pm
Evening – 3:00 pm to 6:30 pm
|Mode of Exam||Online|
|Language of Exam||English and Hindi|
|Question Types||Multiple Choice and Re-Assertion type Questions|
|Marking Scheme||Each correct answer is awarded +1 mark and incorrect with -1/3|
|Syllabus||Physics, Chemistry, Biology (10+2 level of CBSE) and General Knowledge|
AIIMS Exam Pattern 2018
- AIIMS MBBS 2018 exam will be online, Computer-based test posing about 200 Objective-type MCQ from Physics, Chemistry, Biology and General Knowledge.
- The level of questions would be that of 10+2 level.
- The automated question paper will be in either English or Hindi according to the choice of candidates as indicated during the Application process.
- Time allotted for the examination is 210 minutes or 3 hours 30 minutes
- Each correct answer will be awarded a score of 1, while incorrect answers will attract a penalty of -1/3 marks.
- Examinees can mark a particular answer for review during the examination. However, if the particular answer is not submitted finally, then it will not be evaluated.
- There is no negative marking for unanswered questions.
- The subject-wise distribution of questions is tabulated below:
|Subjects||No. of questions|
Please note that AIIMS MBBS 2018 paper will comprise multiple choice questions and re-assertion type questions. Examinees are provided with Optical Response Sheets to mark their answers. Out of the four options given, candidates need to choose one by clicking the appropriate circle given against each of the four options, using the virtual keyboard.
Each correct answer carries +1 mark while each incorrect answer draws a penalty of -1/3 mark. Questions not answered and answers marked for review are not evaluated. The AIIMS 2018 UG scheme of marking is tabulated here for better understanding:
|Correct Answer||+ 1|
|Incorrect Answer||– 1/3|
|Answer Marked for Review||0|
|Questions not Attempted||0|
It is worthwhile to mention here that the pre-defined qualifying score for AIIMS is 50 percentiles for general candidates and 40 percentiles for SC/ST candidates.
The exam conducting authority does not definitely outline the syllabus but the general standard of the AIIMS Entrance Examination has historically been of 12th class Science under the 10+2 Scheme or Intermediate level Science. Candidates are expected to be adept in Biology, Physics, and Chemistry at the 10+2 level as well as sufficiently knowledgeable in General Knowledge and Current Affairs. An indicative list of subject-wise topics that candidates should prepare for the entrance is tabulated here:
|Biology||Biology and Human Welfare; Ecology and environment; Ecology and environment; Environment in Relation to Human Welfare; Diversity in Living World; Biotechnology and its Applications; Genetics and Evolution; Cell – Structure and Function; Animals & Plants – Structure and Function; Reproduction, Growth, and Movement in Plants; Reproduction and Development in Humans; Vegetative Morphology (Root-Stem-Leaf); Taxonomy-Anatomy (Root – Stem – Leaf); Human Physiology|
|Chemistry||Electrochemistry; State of Matter; Solutions; General Principles and Processes of Isolation of Elements; Chemical Kinetics; Surface Chemistry; P-block Elements; D&F block elements; Co-ordination Compounds; Alcohols, Phenols, and Ethers; Haloalkanes and Haloarenes; Aldehydes, Ketones & Carboxylic Acids; Polymers; Biomolecules; Organic Compounds containing Nitrogen; Chemistry in daily life|
|Physics||Dual Nature of Matter; Atoms and Nuclei; Mechanics of Solids and Fluids; Laws of Motion; Waves; Oscillations; Gravitation; Heat and Thermodynamics; Electronic Devices; Electrostatics; Current Electricity; Electromagnetic Waves; Magnetic Effect of Current and Magnetism; Electromagnetic Induction and Alternating Current; Optics; Communication Systems|
|General Knowledge||Current Affairs; International Organizations; History of Indian Independence; Geography; Science; Computers Science|
Best books for AIIMS Examination
Candidates can consider referring to the following books for reference in preparation for AIIMS 2018:
|Physics||Objective Physics for NEET 2018||G K Publishers|
|NEET 2018 Physics Guide||Disha Publication|
|Physics NEET for everyone||Cengage India Pvt. Ltd.|
|Physics Champion for NEET||MTG Learning Media Pvt. Ltd.|
|Chemistry||30 years’ Chapter-wise Solutions CBSE AIPMT & NEET Chemistry||Arihant Publications|
|GRB Objective Chemistry for Medial Entrance||G R Bathla Publications Private Limited|
|Universal self- scorer: Effortless Chemistry||Universal Books Depot|
|40 days Chemistry for NEET.||Arihant Publications|
|Biology||Truman’s Objective biology, Objective Biology General Knowledge NEET||Truman Book Company|
|Balaji NCERT Biology Booster||Shri Balaji Publications|
|Dinesh Objective Biology for NEET and other exams||–|
|General Knowledge||AIIMS Entrance||Dr. Ajoy Mohan|
|AIIMS General Knowledge and Logical Thinking||Disha Publications|
|Aim for AIIMS-AIIMS MBBS Entrance Examination||CBS Publishers|